Friday, January 7, 2011

christmas 2010


My favorite part about our 2010 Christmas in California at my parents house was getting to experience Christmas through Madden's eyes in the same house where I grew up having most of the Christmases that I can remember...

Walking down the same stairs we crept down on Christmas morning as little girls...
Passing through the living room doorway where my dad always used to hang a sheet up so that when we came downstairs early Christmas morning we couldn't see if santa came until we went down the hall and woke up mom and dad first...
Sitting in my mom and dads room, reading from the scriptures and talking about the true meaning of Christmas before we could open any presents...
Watching the grandkids try to help grandpa with the fire by throwing all the wrapping paper into the fire, just like we used to do as little girls with my dad...
Sitting by the same fireplace where a fire once burnt a hole into the bottom of my stocking that was hanging too close to the blazing fire...
(the same burnt stocking that I still have and Madden used this year, since I left his in chicago)
Sitting around the dining room table to a delicious christmas breakfast, the same table where I shared many Christmas breakfasts with my parents and brothers and sisters growing up.

Christmas has an entirely different feel to it now, having a little one of my own.
And I love it.
I opened one present for myself on Christmas morning...and spent the rest of my day getting much more enjoyment and fulfillment out of watching Madden and his cousins open a billion and one presents and seeing the joy and smiles on their little faces :)

The Highlights:

Madden's tired smile at seeing his Thomas train set from Santa
Moms delicious breakfast
Dads warm fire
a visit from Great Grandma and Grandpa Graham
a quick phone call from Elder Robbie Brimhall in the San Bernardino Mission
Hunt family gift exchange
being completely surrounded by wrapping paper, toys and happy kids
John's reaction to the gift Shel surprised him with
Naomi trying to ride in her doll stroller...and then Boston pushing her around in it
watching Madden and Boston get every single boy toy possible: monster trucks, trains, race car tracks, remote control helicopters, swords, etc...only to both end up pushing Naomi's pink strollers around the house for the rest of the day. Maybe they are so used to seeing their daddies push strollers and are just trying to be like their daddies?? Maybe... :)
remote control helicopters crashing into babies heads
Madden and Boston's matching Nike outfits from Grandma Hunt
"Scary mommies" in matching sweats and hoodies :)

Thanks, Mom and Dad, for putting up with our kids and all their messes and toys and letting us take over your home!

Best.Christmas.Yet.

8 comments:

Jenna{Mommy in Manhattan} said...

Love your jammies. Christmas looked amazing. Madden is the cutest thing I have seen. Maybe Gwen and him can meet someday. :)

?- where do you do your collages for your pics? picnik? I like the ones side by side??

Clint, Marianne, Sage, Charlotte, Emery and Ivy said...

so what did Shel get John?
I love your posts. So fun. I love hearing other people's traditions so I can steal them. :)

Briana said...

That looks like an awesome Christmas. Glad you had such a great time. It is a lot of fun through a child's eyes isn't it? I am already excited for next year ;)

The Trones said...

What a great post and fun memories. You have such a fun family. So much to be thankful for!

The Trones said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Nancy said...

I love the pajamas. I've recently started scouting for clothes that would work for boys and girls... Hmmm... I'm SOooo jealous of cousins! Man, come on! My sister's gotta get going!

CMC said...

Do you know I just realized that in order to see the full view of your photos I have to expand the window I'm viewing in? I feel like a blond. Great pics! Love the cousin one of the boys in front of the tree. So cute.

Faye said...

It was wonderful wasn't it! So impressed with your blogging - I may never catch up - I'll just enjoy that you recorded all the great memories!