Wednesday, September 14, 2016

a trip down south

When our best friends, The Packards, moved to Savannah, Georgia about a year and a half ago, I knew we would eventually have to make a trip over there.  I have always wanted to see that part of the country!  So we decided to go for our birthday weekend this year, and instead of buying each other gifts, the trip would be our gift to each other.  We almost left the kids behind with a sitter, but in the end we decided to take them and I'm so glad we did!  They had so much fun and it was so great to see them bond with the Packard kids!  Madden and Henry hadn't seen in each other in 4 years but they were two lego-building peas in a pod!  And Beckett and Isla....well, they are getting married whether they like it or not, so they better start getting used to each other now!

Day 1 was a beach day at Coligny Beach on Hilton Head Island....
We could not keep the boys out of the water!!   It was only day 1 and we had only been at the beach for about 10 minutes when Madden told me, "Mom!  This is the best trip we have ever taken EVER!  Even better than our beach trip!"  He loved how warm the water was :)




After we finally got the kids out of the water, we drove through this unbelievably gorgeous neighborhood in Hilton Head to have dinner at The Salty Dog.
We ate delicious seafood and had amazing views!
After dinner, we walked out onto the dock and relaxed in the giant rocking chairs while listening to live music and watching the sunset.
It was like something out of a southern dream!




And speaking of dream, we found our dream house and Randy and I decided that we are officially retiring in Hilton Head someday...




Day 2 was exploring downtown Savannah...and it was even prettier than I imagined!  I couldn't stop taking pictures but pictures seriously don't even do this place justice!  I was in love with the spanish moss trees and the gorgeous old homes and the charming little cobblestone streets and squares.






We took a break from all the sight seeing and picture taking with a delicious lunch at Hitch where we ate some of the most unique food I have ever had!  I have to admit, I was a little skeptical when reading the menu, but everything tasted SO GOOD!  We shared PB&J chicken wings: crispy fried wings tossed in a peanut/pecan butter and peach jelly sauce for dipping; Treylor Park Nachos: waffle french fries covered in pickles, fried chicken, bacon, cheddar cheese, chive ranch, and balsamic reduction; and Sausage Cinnamon Beignets: fried beignets with sausage, cheese and cinnamon baked inside dipped in apricot jelly.
YUM!



After lunch, we walked down to the river and took the kids to the cutest little candy shop to get some treats...




That night, we got a sitter for all the kids so we could go out for a nice dinner to celebrate mine and Randy's birthdays.
Ali made us dinner reservations at The Olde Pink House.
It was probably one of my favorite things we did on this trip!
Not only did this place have incredible food, but dining there was an EXPERIENCE!
The restaurant is haunted and the house itself was just incredible!
I can't even describe it!
If you ever find yourself in Savannah, Georgia, please eat at the Olde Pink House!
You will not regret it!








On Day 3, we took the kids to the Savannah Wildlife Refuge.
The kids were so excited to see gators in the wild!  But Beckett was pretty disappointed when we wouldn't let him SWIM with the gators. 





That evening we went to Tybee Island and played on the beach until the sun went down...it was dreamy!










On our way home, we stopped for dinner at a local pizza place that was highly recommended.
It was called Huc-A-Poos.
And as if the name wasn't sketchy enough, the place itself looked pretty sketchy when we pulled up...
It looked a little more like a dirty bar than a family friendly pizza joint.
But I'm so glad we stayed and gave it a try because we ended up loving it!
It was such a unique experience, eating on the deck under the canopy, listening to live music and watching the sunset behind the spanish moss.
And the pizza was delicious too!




Day 4 was our final day together :( 
But it was also Randy's birthday!
So we had to make it a fun one!
We drove into downtown Charleston and grabbed breakfast at Callie's Hot Little Biscuit and Glazed Donut Shop.
Both were so good! 
But I think my fave was the Purple Goat at Glazed: a donut filled with berries and goat cheese and topped with a lavender glaze.
I seriously wanted to take home a whole box with me on the plane, they were so good!








Charleston is much bigger than Savannah and we were limited on time and wanted to see as much as possible, so we took a carriage ride/tour through the historical district.
I couldn't stop taking pictures of all the gorgeous homes and gardens!
These houses were not regular houses, they were MANSIONS!
And the history in that place is just unreal!
I absolutely loved the tour and loved our tour guide!
And now I just wanna live in a 3-story pink mansion with a wrap around porch that faces the ocean.
Is that so much to ask??














After our tour was over, we made a quick visit to the Charleston market for souvenirs, ate a quick lunch at Fleet's Landing, and then it was time to head to the airport and say our farewells to the Packards.
I hate saying goodbye to these beautiful friends that we love like family...
But I'm so grateful for the memories we have made with them!
And I can't wait to make more!
Thanks, Packards, for a memorable birthday weekend!
We love ya'll so much!

No comments: