Wednesday, June 4, 2008

Shin Splints


So it turns out the whole running my 13-miler up in Snowflake was not the best idea...I haven't been able to run since. Apparently, the hills are what did me in and ever since, I have had shin splints in my right leg. :(
Luckily, one of my runner friends recommended a great Chiropractor who treats athletes and runners. When I saw him on Monday he gave me lots of helpful tips and put this kinesio tape on to help the shin splints heal. I go back on Friday for one more session of therapy with him, followed by more kinesio tape and another 8-10 days of rest and then I SHOULD be able to run again.
I am going through major running withdrawals like you wouldn't believe...cross-training at the gym is just NOT the same as running outside. I get depressed every day when I drive by the neighborhood where I did my daily run. It has only been 11 days since I last ran and it feels like FOREVER! It makes me realize how much I take for granted being in good health and being able to get up and run everyday pain-free. As soon as I am back to normal, I know I will definitely appreciate it more...and I will definitely not be running in Snowflake again ;)

8 comments:

John said...

Sorry about your set back, hope you heal quick and get back to your training Tiff....we're looking forward to seeing you and Randy in two weeks.

Teresa :) said...

Hey Tiffany, sorry to hear about the shin splints. I would be bummed too. I wish I had time to run every day but I deff take the exercise I do get to do for granted. Thanks for the reminder. :)

Clint, Marianne, Sage, Charlotte, Emery and Ivy said...

Ugh, shin splints are the WORST!! I had them back in high school. Hope you heal quickly! We need to do girls night soon!

Briana said...

Sorry to hear about your shin splits! I hope you are able to start running again soon. When is your marathon again?

Cara said...

yikes tiff shin splints always sound like they hurt. I was just asking Justin the other day what they were exactly and then I read on here that you have them. Sorry that stinks! I hope that everything clears up soon so you can get back to running. and we should get together sometime again soon. :)

Amber Larsen said...

What a bummer... It's so fun to read about your running- when we were roomies it was all about pilates : ) You've definitely changed gears!!

Nancy said...

Oh no- that is so painful :( I hope you are feeling 100% soon... Great job with all your posts-
I love reading your birthday posts. Very sweet.

MARE + 3= CRAZY!!! said...

OUCH right back at ya. I have had those before, and man oh man, the pain. I think that we do take things for granted big time. The simple things like being able to walk with out pain, crazy huh? I hope you get the ok to get back out there very soon. I think it's so awesome the hard work you are putting forth to make your goal of the marathon! I am super inspired by you. You will back be out there before you know it!
So do you teach during the summer, or do you get your summers off? I hope you are able to relax a good bit. I am totally enjoying your blog, keep on posting. Oh also yes that was El Monte, crazy eh? That's our school baby! Got to love it!