Friday, February 5, 2010

1 month ago...

...our apartment flooded.

Turns out the vacant apartment above us had a leaky pipe that froze and burst.
Cuz thats what happens when you live in -degree weather and the heat is turned completely off.

So not only did the water from the above mentioned apartment cave through the ceiling into our bedroom and Maddens bedroom, but this was the pipe connected to the fire alarm/water sprinkler system...which resulted in setting off the fire alarm and sprinklers in our bedrooms.

Lovely.

I was still in Az at the time and Randy had only been home one day and was at school when this disaster struck. So imagine my reaction when I got a phone call from my neighbor telling me that the fire alarms were going off in the entire apartment building and there were two firetrucks pulled up out front and they were all rushing into OUR apartment.

Panic.

Thankfully, it was not a fire.
Just a freaking disastrous flood.
Firefighters grabbed all that they could out of those two bedrooms and threw it all into the living room.
Into one big sopping wet pile.
They then proceeded to suck about 160 gallons of water out of our apartment.

Over the course of the next two weeks, maintenance workers had to completely tear out the walls, ceilings and floors in those bedrooms and re-do everything. And Randy would have been homeless, if not for wonderfully amazing friends and members of the ward who stepped up to help!
(A million thanks to the Porters, Alstons and Walters!!)

We didn't have renters insurance...(who the hell gets renters insurance?? Um...it turns out everyone does, I just didn't realize it cuz no one ever talks about it!) But thankfully, because this was not our fault, we were taken care of by our wonderful landlord and the apartments insurance. They replaced all that was damaged (which in the end turned out to be not that much) and we got a pretty sweet new mattress out of the whole ordeal!
Not to mention the fact that, considering we live in a really old apartment, I love that we now have brand new carpets and brand new paint on the walls in both bedrooms!


So...the moral of the story??
Always have renters insurance.
Didn't have it before.
Definitely have it now.

And another thing I realized??
Apparently all I care about are pictures.
Because I would have died if anything had happened to our wedding pictures or Maddens baby pictures.

I have since bought an external hard drive and backed everything up on it.
Now I just need a fire-proof box to store it in.


The End.

9 comments:

Jenna{Mommy in Manhattan} said...

OMG! So glad that your pictures didn't get ruined. I was hoping you would tell us that! So when should we meet up? I think I am finally able to get around with 2 kiddos now. Let me know.

Anonymous said...

Yes, we had a flood once. It was totally b/c our apartment was just a POS {it was a guest house} and you would think that it would have been nicer b/c our landlord was a contractor. ha ha

Anyway, we got home from vacation to the entire place being flooded. We would not have had near as much ruined, but we had already started packing to move to VA and so we had tons of stuff in cardboard boxes on the floor, so it all got ruined. Derick's missionary scriptures, and our wedding sign-in scrapbooks were ruined. So sad.

Luckily, we did have renter's insurance {it actually was cheaper to have renter's insurance with our car insurance than to just have car insurance alone} and we did pretty well from that.

Anyway, I am just trying to say that I totally feel your pain. IT's the worst thing in the world! Glad that you didn't lose anything important though!!!

Clint, Marianne, Sage, Charlotte, Emery and Ivy said...

Holy crap Tiff! that is a nightmare! We never had renters insurance, either. And I'm like you...if anything in my house gets ruined I would be sad, but I would DIE if I lost all of my pictures!

ensman said...

Holy crap B! That is crazy! I am so glad all your pictures are okay!! I just backed all of mine up after I read this post! :)

Summer said...

Good story Tiff. Not good to experience, but well told. You know what I mean : )

Michele said...

I got my fire proof safe at Wal Mart for like 50 bucks. It's awesome. Every important paper and discs of pictures are in it. Totally a worthy investment, as well as renters insurance.

ashalston said...

i laughed. it that wrong? just because i can totally hear you telling the story and i love how worked up you get when telling it. i do too! and it's not even my apartment. yes, i have never had renters insurance... i mean, really?! but thanks to you guys and your story of disaster i have it now. so, thanks! :). your apartment does smell nice and new now!

Faye said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Faye said...

What - no before and after pictures?