Can you believe we have lived in Chicago for 2 years and just barely visited the Skydeck for the first time?
Its one of Chicago's most famous attractions.
I think I had been holding off on going for a couple reasons...
One, being that Madden was a newborn when we moved here and I wanted to go when he was older and would think it was actually cool.
And two, I honestly didn't think it would be that cool and I didn't think it would be worth the money.
But I was wrong.
It was awesome!
Some interesting facts about the Skydeck...
Sears Tower is the eighth-tallest building inthe world, and it remains the tallest building in the Western Hemisphere, standing 1,450 feet and 110 stories tall.

At 1,353 feet up, The Ledge’s glass boxes extend out 4.3 feet from the skyscraper’s Skydeck on the 103rd floor.
Each box is comprised of three layers of half-inch thick glass laminated into one seamless unit and each glass panel weighs 1,500 lbs. The low-iron, clear glass is fully tempered for durability.

On a clear day, you can view up to 5 miles and 4 states from the Ledge!
The elevators that take you to the top give one of the fastest elevator rides in the world, while referencing points of interest that match the ascending height.

The 120-year old glass and architectural metal contractor company that installed The Ledge is also the same company that installed "The Bean" in Millennium Park.

The inspiration for The Ledge came from hundreds of forehead prints visitors left behind on Skydeck windows every week as well as from the memorable scene in Ferris Bueller’s Day Off.
A few pieces of advice...
1) Visit the Skydeck if you are ever in Chicago! You will never see anything else like it!
2) Disregard above comment if you are deathly afraid of heights (i.e. my sister Michele).
3) Don't stand on the ledge at the same time as your 2 year old who may suddenly decide its a good idea to jump up and down really hard on the glass ledge, frightening his mom as well as other strangers standing nearby on the same ledge.





7 comments:
Looks amazing and SCARY!!!!
over. my. dead. body.
Ahh! Those pictures freak me out!
Come on Michele....I'll buy you one new outfit if you will stand out on the skydeck :)
We never did that and now I'm making the lip face! Looks so amazing. That view is the best.
Your faces kill me. :) You have a special dad, I can tell.
HOLY COW B!! I would never go out on that! That makes my tummy hurt just looking at the pictures and thinking about it. It did make me laugh to read what Madden did though. That would have freaked me out even more if I had actually been there on it with you all. GEEZ! :)
That is seriously amazing!! You make me want to visit Chicago ;) Awesome pictures as well!!
Post a Comment