Sunday, April 22, 2012

this is my little spiral notepad

When I was little, my mom kept a little spiral notepad in her top dresser drawer.  Every time one of us kids said something funny, she'd get out her notepad and write it down.  So over the years, she compiled several little spiral notepads of all the funny things we said when we were growing up.  We still love going back and reading them and laughing at all the ridiculous stuff we said.

This blog has become my little spiral notepad in my top dresser drawer...

(*disclaimer: if you follow me on facebook or instagram, you've read these already...but since this blog gets published, they need to be documented here as well)



The week before Easter, I told Madden we were going to an easter egg hunt at the church and he asked me if the easter bunny was gonna be there. I said "I guess so" and madden said "but...does the easter bunny have church clothes!?"

Walking through the grocery store together, Madden picked up an Alvin & the Chipmunks DVD and told me to buy it for him.  I told him to put it back because we weren't buying it.  His response was, "you better be nice to me or I'm gonna spank your bum and put you in time out."

Madden's quite the storyteller these days: "Mom remember when my head fell off?  Ya!  I hit it so hard it just fell off.  And then I had to get a new head and put it on.  But then my new head got yucky mean spiders all over it so I had to smack them off of me.  And then I flushed them in the toilet and peed all over them."

After I got mad at him for leaving my side in a crowded store, I told him if he ran away from me a stranger could get him.  First he asked me all wide-eyed "Whats the strangers name?" I explained to him that strangers are people we don't know.  Then he asked me "Is the stranger a zebra?"  I told him strangers are people and he said "Are they mean people?"  I said "They can be." To which he responded, "Don't worry, Mom.  If a stranger gets me, I will just throw mud on him, spank his bum, and then throw him in the garbage!"

When we were in California in February, my mom told the kids a story about some owls in their backyard and it frightened Madden to death, for some reason.  He's been terrified of owls ever since and he blames them for everything.  Can't find a toy: "I think the owls took it."  Hears a strange noise outside: "did you hear that owl?"  Has an owie: "the owls did it to me."  Doesn't wanna go to bed: "but I'm scared of owls."  Driving in the car: "Do you see that owl, Mom?  Do you hear it?  I think he's following us!"

4 comments:

Clint, Marianne, Sage, Charlotte, Emery and Ivy said...

I just love that age. My girls say crazy stuff all the time, too. Charlotte is scared of this wood pecker that's been pecking on the wall outside her bed and everything now is all the wood peckers fault. So funny.

Jenna said...

I'm dying over the owls! I love that he blames them for everything. It actually sounds really scary to me. :)

P+B said...

hahaha I love that he is so willing to protect you and spank anyone and everyone's bum! he is CUTE!

Faye said...

My little spiral notepad of quotes from you kids has given me years of laughter and funny memories I might have forgotten. Your little spiral notepad is cooler though because it has pictures of Madden at the ages he said it :) So glad you are documenting his cuteness!