Friday, May 3, 2013

triple digits

Earlier this week, we hit our very first day in the triple digits.
It was April 29th.
Not even May yet.
And it was 100 degrees out.
We were driving down the road and Madden said out of nowhere, "I wish we lived in the desert."
I said, "We DO live in the desert."
And Madden said, "Then how come I don't see any camels??"
...........................
Touche, Madden.


But aside from that random 100 degree day when he actually requested living in the desert, this kid has been on a major "when are we moving back to chicago" kick lately.
Like, he brings it up on a daily basis.
Out of nowhere.
Things like...

"Mom, can we just go back to Chicago now?  Cuz we've been here for a really really really long time now."

"Ugh, its so hot here...and I don't like hot, I like cold.  Thats why we just need to go back to Chicago."

When I said we aren't going back to Chicago, that this is where we live now, he got a look of shock on his face and said, "But you said we were just staying here for 10 minutes!"  

I never said that.

When I also tell him that his daddy's job is here in Arizona, he simply tells me that daddy can get a new job.
In Chicago.

When I tell him all his cousins live closer to us out here and he would never get to see them if we moved back to Chicago, his solution is "well they can just follow us out there and then I can see them everyday."

The kid just has a solution for everything.

Truth is I miss Chicago too.
And probably always will.
Especially during these blasted hot Arizona summers.
But then I have these moments where I love being back in Arizona.
Like the other night when we met up with Randy after work at Joe's BBQ in Downtown Gilbert.
It was one of those warm summer nights that I love.
One of those perfect ones where its not too hot but still warm even after the sun is completely down.
We sat on the picnic tables outside of Joe's under the lights strung through the trees.
When Madden was finished eating he ran around on the grass and played with strangers kids.
Then we passed a splash pad on our way back to our car that was all lit up in neon colors.
Madden begged us to play in it and Randy told him he could only get a little wet.
And of course he ended up getting drenched and riding home soaking wet.
But he loved every second of it it cuz it was so warm outside.
It was a fun summer night with my little family :)

1 comment:

Faye said...

Those beautiful summer nights are the pay off for the killer hot days. I love a warm summer night - and splash pads.