Thursday, September 17, 2009

My Dad is my Hero!


This past weekend was the Chicago Half Marathon. And my Dad ran it with me! Three things you must know about my Dad that make this so significant...

1) My dad is not a runner and always thought people who ran long distance races were crazy people

2) My dad has only recently taken up running in the past couple months...and has lost 40+ pounds in the process

3) My dad just decided (with a little encouragement from me) to run the half marathon two weeks ago!

So basically, to sum up, my Dad is amazing. There are not many people who could have run a half marathon on as little training as he did...and especially at his age. (Not that you're old or anything Dad) ;) There were a lot of people who didn't think my Dad could do it and thought he was crazy for even trying...but I knew he could do it!
(While my Mom was waiting for my Dad at the finish line, I think she looked at every ambulance that drove by, wondering if my Dad was inside of it.)

It was a beautiful day and a beautiful race! Everything went perfect...aside from the fact that I had to run most of the race without my music due to my stupid IPOD freezing at mile 3...seriously...ridiculous. The only upside to this was that because I didn't have my headphones in, I could hear everyone calling out my name and cheering me on. My friend Ashley was running with me also, so she unplugged her headphones from her IPOD and let her music play out loud so I could hear it while we ran next to each other. Thanks, Ash!

My two favorite miles are always the very first mile and the very last mile. I especially liked going back to run the last few hundred yards with my Dad so that I could be next to him when he crossed the finish line. :) It was awesome!

You are inspiring, Dad...I hope I am running half marathons when I am your age!

I can't wait to run the next one with you... I LOVE YOU! XOXO








The rest of the weekend with my parents in town was spent relaxing, sightseeing in Chicago, eating delicious food, and enjoying each others company. Thanks Mom and Dad for coming to visit us and for spending our birthday weekend with us! We miss you already and can't wait for your next trip to Chicago! :)






11 comments:

ashalston said...

Yay! thanks for posting pictures! I had fun running with you aside from the times I saw my life flash before my eyes. we may have to make this an annual thing :). And I agree your dad is AWESOME!

John said...

Thanks for the nice post Tiff. The half marathon was a grueling test for me, but a great sense of accomplishment when it was over. I would love to do it with you again, maybe if I train better I can keep up with you.
The trip to Chicago was incredible, what a fantastic city.....we're definitly coming back to visit.

Faye said...

Tiff - you summed it all up beautifully! I agree with you that it is pretty dang amazing that you Dad accomplished this - I know running it with you was the big motivator - so thanks for inspiring him. You should both be very proud of yourselves. The weekend in Chicago was awesome! I can't wait to come back to do more and see you all again. Thanks for being our trip planner/tour guide. It was so much fun.

Cara said...

WOW, You and your dad are pretty crazy. But it is awesome that you both finished it. And how fun to get to spend a birthday weekend with your parents! That was probably lots of fun.

annalisa said...

You girls are amazing! I love all the pictures, and I still think it is so awesome that your dad ran with you!

The Youngs said...

How fun! You guys look great and Madden is cute as ever!

D-dawg said...

Awesome!! Great photos. Your dad is amazing for doing it with out training. He and my dad should run together!! Good job to you too!

Lynnette said...

Wow, I can't picture your dad as a runner :) Good for both of you!

Lewis Family said...

Congrats. That is so awesome. Yes I love P90X. I have lost so much in size. I have lost about 10 pounds so far. We got it on Craigslist for like $30. I would look for it on there.

Jenna{Mommy in Manhattan} said...

Great Job! Your Dad is amazing!!

Briana said...

That is so awesome that you guys got to do that together. Very cool!! I am so proud of you for keeping that up. You inspire me to start thinking about it. :) Okay how long have I been saying that.....