Saturday, January 23, 2010

P.F. Changs Rock 'n' Roll Arizona Marathon




At the starting line...Marianne stretches while I stare off into space and wonder what the hell I was thinking signing up for another one of these things!?

seconds from the finish line...scanning the crowds, looking for Shari, Kelcie and Madden!





One week ago I crossed the finish line of my second marathon.
And I must say, I enjoyed this marathon even more than my first!
Don't get me wrong, there's nothing quite like the first; that sense of accomplishment and that high of knowing you just accomplished something you never thought you could do.
But for some reason, this one was even better...probably due in part to the following:

-I was much more prepared for this one, physically
-I was 100% healthy and injury-free at the starting line, no shin splints this time
-I was a little bit less nervous about this one, being that I was able to tell myself "I've done this before. I can do this."
-No hills in this one. None. Beautifully flat. Gloriously flat. A very welcome change from the San Francisco marathon course.
-And all of the above made it possible for me to beat my San Francisco time by 45 minutes!


Another huge plus? I was able to run this one with my friend, Marianne. I ran my
very first race with Marianne 2 years ago. When I ran my first marathon, she was pregnant, and then when she ran her first marathon, I was pregnant. And we always swore one day we would run one together. Standing at the starting line of 26.2 miles isn't so scary when you have a friend to laugh with and hold your hand...Ok, so its still scary as $@#? but at least you can be scared together, right? ;)

7:40 a.m., the gun went off, we waved to John McCain (who was standing ridiculously close to us), and we were off! We ran side by side for the first 6 miles and then we parted ways. I knew there was no way I was gonna be able to keep up with Marianne the entire way...she is a speedy one! But I'm glad I got to enjoy that first hour with her! :)

As much as I enjoyed running with Marianne, I also very much love running alone, so once I was on my own I just got in the zone, turned up my Ipod and started daydreaming. The miles flew by as I high-fived kids in their front yards, drooled over the beautiful mansions we ran by, admired the gorgeous views of Camelback Mountain, and smiled at the amazing supporters who were out in the wee hours of the morning to cheer us on.

I'm not sure why, but there is something very emotional about running a marathon. I often get a little teary eyed when I read the backs of peoples shirts running for a cause or for a friend...and I find that it inspires me and keeps me going.

I ran for several miles right behind a girl about my age wearing a shirt with a picture of her husband on it, currently serving in the war, and it read "Half my heart is in Afghanistan."
I ran another several miles next to two girls running side by side. Written in marker down one girls leg it said "Cancer survivor" and down the girls leg running next to her, it said "Run for Beth, With Beth."
And I ran another several miles next to a man wearing a shirt with a picture of his friend on it who was a victim of 9/11.

Everytime I saw a runner run to the side of the road to get a kiss from their husband or a hug from their kid, it made me smile. :)
It also made me think of Randy and Madden...and it helped me to keep running.

I hit the wall at about mile 23...I was so ready to be done and I could tell my pace was slowing down a lot. And I REALLY wanted to reach my goal of finishing in under 4 1/2 hours. When I hit the wall in San Francisco, I kept daydreaming about 2 things: the delicious crab salad sandwich I was going to eat afterwards at Fentons and Randy waiting anxiously at the finish line for me.
And it kept me going.
This time around, Randy was not waiting for me at the finish line and neither was a crab salad sandwich from Fentons :(
So this time, I reminded myself of 2 things that were waiting at the finish line for me:
Madden and Sprinkles cupcakes. :)
And it worked.
It kept me going and I was able to cross the finish line with a smile on my face and with a finishing time of
4: 26: 09.

I can now say that I have run two marathons in two different places that I have called home. They are places that are dear to my heart and hold so many memories for me.
Now I call Chicago home. And although it is only a temporary home, I have already fallen in love with this place! I know when our 3 years is up here, we will have created so many wonderful memories in Chicago and it will break my heart to leave.

So I figured it only fitting that I run my 3rd marathon in my 3rd home...

Who wants to run with me?? ;)

19 comments:

Clint, Marianne, Sage, Charlotte, Emery and Ivy said...

OK. LOVE this post! We must have been running so close together because I ran behind the "1/2 my heart is in Afg." and "run for beth with beth" people for a while. And they totally motivated me, too. I get teary eyed running, too. It can totally be an emotional experience. So....I might be in for Chicago Marathon.

Summer said...

You are a crazy one Tiff. Way to go.

BTW, you look SO SKINNY!

Michele said...

I'm must be crazy because those people with the stuff written on their shirts almost made me cry. Especially the one with half her heart in afghanistan. Can you imagine?? Congrats tif, does this mean you aren't running the hobble creek half in utah with me in the fall?

Tiffany said...

of course I am, sister. but that ones in august or september, isn't it? I'm still planning on it...

ashalston said...

me, me, me! pick me to run it with you! except you will fly by me... its okay, i wont hold it against you.

annalisa said...

I loved catching up on all these posts! This one in particular was a bit of a tear jerker... I remember going to the finish line of the SLC marathon to see my cousin... It was so emotional to watch people stumble across the line. I am proud of you! Keep it up!

Janelle said...

Tiffany, you rock! Madden is such a big boy now - he looks so cute with his new do.

Faye said...

Congratulations TIff!!! That is quite an accomplishment. I'm proud of you. Great post!

The Trones said...

I'm in for Chicago! Registration opens Feb 1st. Hopefully I won't get pregnant first!

mandy* said...

T - you are crazy and inspiring. Thanks for letting me read the thoughts of a runner. You make me want to get out and try. Congratulations! I can't wait for the Chicago Marathon play-by-play.

MARE + 3= CRAZY!!! said...

Wow Tiff you are one amazing woman!! I too got teary eyed when you tod of all the people running for others. You ROCK TIFF! And you LOOK FABULOUS!!! You are are real inspiration!!

Randy said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Randy said...

"My wife is a runner and it shows."

-Michael Scott-

I am proud of you, sweetheart!

I LOVE YOU!

John said...

Tiff...after running the Chicago half, I cant imagine ever running a full, and now you've done it twice. Way to go girl!

Teresa :) said...

Hey Tiffany! Great job on the marathon, I really feel like getting in better shape after reading this post. haha Especially after seeing your amazing little skinny legs. Im super envious right now. :) Madden is sure getting so big, I wish that my little Hadley had that much hair, but she is still pretty bald.

Emily said...

I can't believe you did another one! Thats awesome. Your little one is so adorable, Im not sure if I ever had the chance to tell you congratulations, but Congratulations he is beautiful! You are my inspiration to try to do another Marathon... Wish me luck! If you are ever on the east coast for one let me know Id love to join you!

sarahjohn said...

Tiffany, I am so proud of you. Okay, your post totally made me cry, and totally made me want to run a marathon. I know I was very emotionally proud of John when he ran his. Some day I will join you in your wonderful marathon stories.

Jenna{Mommy in Manhattan} said...

okay if i can be that skinny i will run the chicago one with you. only if you guarantee my skinniness at the end! You rock!

Matt and Megan said...

You and marianne seriously inspire me!! Running at 29 weeks prego would probably throw me into labor but I so want to get back into running!! I would run in Thatcher but running in a small town is different than a big one!! And I was never hard core about it!! but I told my hubby I want to run a marathon with him after this little baby!! Congrats and your little man is adorable!!