Saturday, October 23, 2010

The "Goonga" Farm



When you live in the Midwest, a yearly fall visit to a real Pumpkin Farm is totally necessary.
Its nothing like those little pumpkin patches I went to on school field trips growing up.
Bengston's Pumpkin Farm is supposed to be the BEST in all of Chicagoland.
And it totally lived up to its reputation.
It was like a pumpkin patch/fall fest/halloween carnival extravaganza!
Complete with a hayride, a corn maze, a haunted house, a fun barn (for kids like Madden who were too little to go through the haunted house), a petting zoo, kiddie rides, carnival food (funnel cakes and caramel apples? um...yes please!)
And of course, more pumpkins in different shapes colors and sizes than I have ever seen before...


Including these three beauties:


Yes, those are real pumpkins.
The biggest one weighing in at a whopping 1,605 lbs!


Madden loved all the animals and the petting zoo.
He thinks anything with a beak says "quack quack", which included the turkeys and ostrich
And everything else says "roaaaaar!", which included the goats and miniature horses
He is one confused little baby.



Another major highlight for Madden included riding on the "choo-choo" train.


Repeatedly.
Don't be fooled by the serious look on his face in these pictures.
He was in heaven!


See?? :)

Highlight of my day was watching Madden run wild among all the pumpkins, trying to lift up the biggest ones and then grunting out loud cuz they were too heavy, all while pointing and calling out "goonga!" over and over again.



Yes, Madden calls pumpkins "goongas."
I have no idea why.
Everyday when we drive through our neighborhood, he looks out the window and points out all the "goongas" on peoples porches.
And everyday when we read Halloween books he points out all the "goongas" on each page.
I know, "goonga" sounds nothing like Pumpkin.
But whatev.
I think its kinda hilarious.



We bought a couple tiny little baby orange and white "goongas" for Madden.
He kissed them and played with them the whole way home.

A very fun day with my boys...
Pretty sure Bengston's will be a new yearly tradition for our little family. :)

8 comments:

Michele said...

Utah has awesome pumpkin patches too. Californians are missing out. Thats funny he calls them goongas. I miss him. And you.

Nancy said...

I'm SOOOo jealous of the height marker at your farm- frickin' awesome idea to get people to come back year after year... I wish our favorite place had that!!!! Great photos, enjoy your gonga carving!!!

annalisa said...

We loved Bengstens! It was seriously such a cool patch!! I love Madden's outfit.. he's such a stud. I'm Glad Randy was able to go with you too... its such a fun family outing.

Briana said...

I just got caught up on your blog. You are amazing with your races...;) I think I have an idea of what Madden is going to be for Halloween...but I think I might save my comment and just wait to see. Haha! That pumpkin patch looked like a lot of fun. I can't get over how big he is getting. Isn't it crazy how fast they grow up? You look amazing as always!

Jenna{Mommy in Manhattan} said...

Okay Madden is adorable. Are you kidding me. He is such a little man now. he grew up!

Clint, Marianne, Sage, Charlotte, Emery and Ivy said...

so so cute. and not fair that there aren't a thousand other people in your pictures. we went to schnepf this weekend and it was a MADHOUSE.

Cara said...

Man that place looks like a little boys heaven, especially one that loves "goongas" so much! :) Love all the pics and that train is so cute too! If Madden is like any other boy I know I am sure he did LOVE it! :)

Faye said...

I hope he is still saying goongas when he is here at Christmas. I'll make sure I have a pumpkin here just to hear him say it :) The pictures are adorable.