Our boys are early morning risers.
Always have been.
But somehow, they always manage to sleep in on Sundays, which means we rarely make it to 8 am sacrament meeting.
But when they are too excited to see what the Easter bunny left them in their baskets on Easter morning, they wake up at 5:40 am.
(holy crap go back to bed!!!!!)
Yet somehow, we were still 30 minutes late to church.
(oopsies...)
It would have been easy to just stay home, since I'm 9 months pregnant and about to burst and we were already running super late.
But I wanted to make sure that my boys understood the real reason we celebrate Easter...
We had a little family picnic at the park the night before Easter and we talked with the boys about the true meaning of Easter.
We talked about Christ and how He suffered and died for us but even more importantly how He rose from the dead and how He lives today.
And we explained what the easter bunny and easter eggs even have to do with it, how eggs symbolize new life, just like the Savior was given new life when he arose from the tomb on that third day.
Holiday traditions are fun and I want my boys to enjoy them and know that its ok to do easter egg hunts and get excited about the Easter Bunny AS LONG as we remember that thats not the most important part of Easter.
Not even close.
He is the reason.
The reason I know that death is not the end and the reason that I know I will get to live again someday with my family and with my Savior and Heavenly Father.
And for that, I am so thankful.
After church, we came home and the boys had a little Easter egg hunt in the backyard.
Then while I got started on our easter dinner, Randy took the boys to fly their new kites they got in their easter baskets.
Kites in their easter baskets is a Brimhall tradition.
I usually pick out all their easter basket goodies, but Randy always makes sure to remind me to get the boys a kite. :)
And I love that they will grow up with these memories of sharing this special tradition with their dad that he shared with his dad and brothers when he was little...
After dinner and kite flying and way too much candy eating and an evening walk to the park, we put on a family movie to watch together and Beck was out in 2 seconds.
Easter candy sugar crash.
He refused to eat any of the Easter dinner I made cuz he only wanted to eat "all the candies."
But he also told me today "you da best mom I neva seen."
So I still love him. :)
Happy Easter!
xoxo

No comments:
Post a Comment